Saturday, June 20, 2009

How to talk to your kids about sex.

Here is what can happen if you use too many big words and vague descriptions when talking to your kids about sex. LOL

If you have a tween or a pre-teen you know you need to have “THE TALK”. I wont get into a debate of when is too early or too late to have the talk. Suffice to say at some point you will need to do it. Gone are the days of when your parents either had an awkward or worse no conversation with you that basically explained nothing. In the end you gathered all your misinformation in whispers from your friends. Since mine are all boys I don’t have to deal with all the complexities of talking to girls. Also much of the burden of the “Birds and the Bees” conversation was thankfully carried by Dad in our case, however I did not want it to be a “Ask your Dad” exclusively relationship between myself and my boys.

So I gathered myself and went into the bookstore ready to research “THE BOOK” for my son I was pretty shocked at the level of information and detail there was in these books. Granted here are some tame versions out there, some of which are no clearer than the stork explanation and one that had a little cartoon on the bottom of the chapter on Masturbation that said the words “Yippee”. Check out Amazon at the link below and search for “puberty books for boys” and you will be able to browse inside some of them and see what works best for you.




I was conflicted on how much information should the book have and which one made the most sense. It is not an easy choice there’s a lot of books out there. The one I eventually settled on was SCARY at first in that it has a lot of information and pictures in there, not to mention the “Yippee” cartoon. It took me 3 months or so before I could bring myself to hand it over to my son. This was partly because I was reading and absorbing it myself and partly because I was not ready to discuss the information with him. There was a whole lot of information that I am embarrassed to admit that was NEW to me.




When I did eventually have to hand the book over to him, I said a little prayer under my breath as I passed it along to my son and hope that he uses the information in it to help him along his path of life. My baby boys are growing up and some day I am going to have to see them as the Men they will become. As a mom that’s a hard transition because the way I see it the information transfer signals an end to the “innocent child” phase that my boy was so far living in. At the same time I am also glad that he has the tools he needs to arm himself with what will be coming his way and hopefully he is more prepared than I was at his age.

I know first hand that its not an easy conversation to start but with the help of PICTURE books it makes it a lot easier to get the information exchange started. I am glad I took the plunge and survived .One down, two to go!!



Flower car lady - Have a happy and colorful day

2 comments:

  1. loved ur entry..really it is a very tough job being a parent..though i am still to embark on that journey i can very well understand the difficulties..good luck with your sons...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog stopped by from MBC, this post is too funny, just today daughter who is 3 touched her nipples and asked me what they were and what they were called, then when we were doing an art project she put them on the people we were decorating!

    ReplyDelete