My first attempt is at Tomato basil soup, our local grocery store sells this fresh in their soup selection and its heavenly but with every bite you can taste the calories so I was looking to make a home made version of the same.
A quick google search later I settled on a version by Barefoot Contessa Roasted Tomato Basil soup ,click on link for the original recipe that was the inspiration for this dish.
If you happen to have a crock pot then use it like I did to keep the soup brewing without having to watch it all the time. If you don't have slow cooker just simmer the soup for 30 minutes on the stove top.
What you need to pick up from the grocery -
8-10 Plum Tomatoes, 1 bunch of basil, 28oz can of plum tomatoes, 1quart chicken stock (home made is great)
What you need from your pantry -
6 cloves of garlic, red pepper flakes , olive oil, butter, salt & pepper, (optional -Agave syrup,milk)
1) Cut plum tomatoes in half, garlic cloves in half place in roasting pan and drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil. Convection roast at 375 for 40 minutes.
2) Saute onions and chopped garlic in olive oil and butter . Add red pepper flakes.
3) Add 28oz can of whole peeled plum tomatoes and chopped basil into onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper
4) Transfer the onion/tomato mixture , roasted tomatoes and chicken stock into the crock pot. Let the whole thing simmer on low setting, I set it for 4 hours.
5) Use immersion blender and puree the soup until its finer. As a final extra step I passed the whole chunky soup thru a course food mill to give a soup an much smoother consistency.
When the soup was done it was a little too acidic for my taste so I added 1/4 cup of milk and a tsp of Agave syrup ( substitute sugar if you don't have that) and heat on low until ready to eat. Serve with a garnish of basil, 3-4 croutons and optional dash of grated cheese.
Enjoy on a cold rainy day with the ones you love. If you have any other slow cooker or healthy tasty recipes feel free to share .